cinnamon spice

a little of this, a little of that, variety is the spice of this blog........

August 16, 2006

which way is up........

Didn't mean to disappear on everyone. It has been a long week. Getting the soccer club ready for the fall season has been a lot of fun, but has taken up a lot of free time. Being busy and having deadlines has reminded me how much I liked working. I know that sounds funny, but I miss it. I know that for me, being a stay home parent comes first. It is what I was meant to do. I just wish I could find something that I could do at home, or at an office during the school hours to satisfy that part of me. It seems so simple to find a job at the schools, but most other 'stay at homes' feel the same way and have already filled up those spots. My other dilemma is my younger one. He has a 'nervous' tummy and some seasonal (winter time) sadness/depression. We were able to make great strides last year, but there were a lot of days when I was practically home-schooling him. How can I commit to an employer, when I will drop everything for my boys?

So, during this busy week the family went on an adventure. Hubby borrowed a friends canoe, and off we went on the Pack River. Everybody had a paddle and we saw all kinds of wildlife, from a caterpillar to a moose. (Note: if I were my blog friends Family Phil and Hannelie, I would have a picture to go with that. Hubby was too worried about the camera getting wet, so it stayed home.) The day started off very nice, but with me making little comments like "doesn't the Pack River flow into Lake Pend'orille?" And "why are we parking here, don't we want to finish there". But hubby was sure he heard his friends instructions right, we were to put in by the Hidden Lakes golf course and get out by the elementary school. Ok, for those reading and know the area, you are already giggling, aren't you? First let me tell you that I am directionally challenged. So I didn't put up much of an argument about which way the river was running. (although this time I was right) The first 2 1/2 hours were wonderful. Easy paddling and lots of places to stop, snack and swim. Then came the faster water. And yes, we were paddling up stream. Ugh. Ok, that wouldn't have been so bad, a lot more work, but we had plenty of paddlers. The trouble came when the water was too low. We were scrapping bottom. And there were thunder clouds in the area. And it started to rain. Out we all got and started traipsing up stream towards the car. Every once in a while we would get in for a quick 10 or so strokes, but then out again. Let me tell you, the kids were troopers. But they soon tired of hearing hubby and I say "hey boys, this is an adventure". Finally, 6 hours after we put in by the golf course we saw our car. I can not begin to tell you how thrilled we were to see it. You see, we thought we were close when we started having to walk up river. Every bend brought us hope that we were there. Should we have turned around and floated by down stream towards the other car? Maybe, but we didn't know how close we were in either direction. Hey, it was an adventure..... We just didn't know which way was up!

2 Comments:

  • At 8/18/2006 12:18:00 AM, Blogger Phil said…

    We bought this waterproof (supposedly) camera bag, made of ultra-clear plastic so you can take pictures without taking it out of the bag. Oh, and it floats too (supposedly).

     
  • At 8/24/2006 05:44:00 AM, Blogger Hannelie said…

    Now that sounds like a bit of an adventure!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home