cinnamon spice

a little of this, a little of that, variety is the spice of this blog........

August 07, 2006

looking back, looking forward........

Soccer season is starting for us and I am finding that I am spending less and less time on the computer. I am on the board of directors for our local soccer club. Unfortunately most of our board is currently on vacation, so the pre-season chores and forms to fill out, fall on my shoulders. I don't mind, because I know it is getting done and the kids will benefit from it. I love youth sports! I grew up doing recreation programs and camps with my dad, who was a physical education and recreation teacher at the local college (retired now). Although I didn't pursue a degree in that area back in college, I am finding that I have come full circle and am volunteering lots of time in the recreation field. Funny how life does that.

I found some very interesting quotes about youth and sports in a book called Soccerhead, by Jim Haner. Some I want to share

"It takes six, seven or eight years for children's nerve branches to grow long enough to reach their fingers and toes........which is why kids spill so much milk and walk like ducks when they're young. Once thier extrmities are all plugged into the main switchboard.....they begin to move in straight lines and gain control. And nothing a coach or parent says or does before then can make much difference, except possibly to cause the kids so much misery that they quit sports"

We are fortunate enough to have great coaches that understand that at our club. But over the weekend, we saw examples of those who drive the players at such an early age, before they are physically ready to comprend what is being asked of them.

"The problem faced by the kids always change, but for the coach the hardest part is always the same: keeping the grown-ups happy.......a youth soccer coach spends more time tending to the needs of the adults than to those of the children. If a team has twelve kids, the head coach has to manage up to twenty four adult egos, and that's before you start counting the grandparents"

That is soooo true. As a coach, and the wife of a coach, we see this from year to year. One of the reasons we switched to slect soccer this year, is because of the parent base. There are few egos amongst these parents, and for that we know we are lucky.

Stay patient with me as I figure out this posting/doing pictures/etc. I haven't found a rountine yet for posting, although I seem to think alot about what I want to say in my blog at night. Maybe I will be a night time blogger.......

2 Comments:

  • At 8/07/2006 09:41:00 PM, Anonymous Coach Bigs said…

    I enjoyed reading about your love for kids sports. It's a passion of mine also. I completely agree with your take on keeping parents happy. I was fortunate to have a good group of parents -- and I hung onto them for as long as I could. I saw too many other teams that were no fun because the parents made it that way.

    I'm linking to this post from my web site www.CoachKidsSports.com. The post will go live on Wednesday, here's a link to it when it's live.

    http://www.coachkidssports.com/2006/08/09/Link_Love_08_09_2006

     
  • At 8/07/2006 11:25:00 PM, Blogger Hannelie said…

    Oh that is so true. When I was teaching swimming I found to that the parents of children was as different as day and night. The good ones say Thank you and the bad ones yell at their kids from the side :( Very frustrating.
    Looking fw to read some more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home